Thursday, December 6, 2007

Missing CUDS Already

I must say today was filled with mixed emotions for me. I am usually so ready to be finished with a semester. Goodness knows I've seen several semester endings over the past years. This one, somehow, was different. Today was the last day of exams at Campbell Divinity School in Buies Creek, NC. That may not mean too much to some of you, but to some of us, it means a few weeks of rest and relaxation. It means no cramming for exams or pulling all-nighters to get a book read in order to write the review by daybreak. ( I didn't do that but I know who did!) :) It means being able to spend more time with our families and enjoying the little things like staying up a little longer at night to watch the entire game on Monday nights.

Even though I was finished with another semester, today was a little different. I began to ponder why this one was unlike the rest. When I tried to come up with a good reason, all I could come up with is the fact that I am in my "last" days. No, I'm not dying. Not as I know of, anyway. But you know the days ... this was the last Advent season I will celebrate with my Campbell friends. This was the last time I'll leave the Campbell campus wishing everyone to have a Merry Christmas. It was the last time I had to fill out a class request form...(previous blog).

I've tried to get Dr. Cogdill to create a position for me at the Divinity School so I can stay around. LOL. He said he wasn't sure the campus could handle that. LOL

I have had to remind myself over the last few days that even though there were challenges along the way (exams, papers, etc), there is much to be thankful for. I have met new folks every semester I've been at Campbell, but have been able to keep in touch with the old ones too. This semester seemed to be chocked full of even more new friends, and for this, I am thankful.

For the professors who have challenged us and expected the best but who have seen fit to offer grace when necessary, I am thankful. For the folks who replaced the stinky paper towels in the bathrooms, I am thankful. For Elaine's great smile and willingness to "be there for ya" and Joyce's sense of humor, I am thankful. For Irma's big smile and Kelly's sweet grin, I am thankful. For Lynn's precious disposition and Amanda's willingness to serve, I am thankful.

You see, Campbell is a great place to be. Why wouldn't I miss it when I'm gone? Yes, I'm glad the exams and papers are finished, but I look forward to January when old friendships are renewed and new friends are found.

1 comment:

Sera Sera said...

As I got home this afternoon, I took out my calendar and tried to plan what I needed to do. Then I realized, I am finished. (At least until January.) Just wanted you to know, I am thankful for our friendship and the many smiles you put on my face!