Monday, December 3, 2007

Mother/Son Graduation

College graduation is a huge milestone in the life of an individual as I well remember. I was 34 when I received my college degree and I was so excited about going to the graduation exercises at Campbell University and having my children there to see "Mom" get her degree.

Well, now the tables have turned. My oldest son will graduate from UNCW in May of next year. It has taken 5 years but isn't that the norm nowadays? I'm not sure I know too many who get a 4-year degree in 4 years anymore. He went to St. Andrews Presbyterian College on a partial baseball scholarship but decided after a couple of years he wasn't going to play baseball the rest of his life, so he wanted to transfer to UNCW. When he was first applying to colleges, UNCW was his only choice even though he had several colleges interested in him to play baseball for them. He applied at Wilmington and I remember the day so vividly. February 15, 2002 was the day he got his acceptance letter. He was thrilled. It wasn't until later in the year he decided to give St. Andrews a try so he could play baseball a little longer. Five years later he's going to graduate from the one and only school he wanted to attend. I am so proud of him and can't wait to attend his graduation ceremony.

When I entered Campbell University Divinity School, Daniel and I joked about us graduating at the same time. Of course we had no idea, then, how long it would take either one of us. Well, it's going to happen but we have a slight problem. My hooding date and his graduation date are THE SAME BLESSED DAY!!!!!!! (sorry about the exclamation points, Dr. C)

I was doing a little checking on the UNCW site the other day and came to a startling realization. If the December graduation is any indication, his ceremony will be at 9:30 in Wilmington and mine is at 3:00 in Buies Creek, 2 hours away. I think we'll make it. :)

2 comments:

Tony W. Cartledge said...

Things that are blessed may well deserve exclamation points.

Bruce K. Rice said...

Years ago I knew a young girl with an infectious laughter, care for so many and a singing voice tha t made you stop and take notice. I lost contact with her for a lot of years, but found her again...still the caring God filled girl I knew. can only magine the blessing she brings to her church now. God has so richly blessed HIS church by having such a vibrant witness. Campbell College will be proud of it's graduate.
Rev. Bruce K. Rice