Sunday, November 4, 2007

Rules ... Do they exist anymore?

I grew up in a small family, Mama, Daddy and one pestering younger brother. I guess we were happy. I don't remember too much turmoil at least until my brother and I got older. He was and is a pain in the patootie and he's 45 years old. LOL.

What I do remember, and quite vividly, was my parents' intentions for us to follow the rules. I grew up knowing that if I didn't follow the rules, a spanking was the next step. I didn't get many. Actually, I don't remember but two. I'm sure I deserved more, but I did try to behave most of the time back then. :)

What is so different? Do parents think they are going to spoil their "buddy buddy" relationships with their children if they discipline them? The word "No" is not such a hard word to say.

I think it's time we made our young people responsible for their actions. Consequences are going to face us as long as we live. I think we would do our young people a great service by holding them accountable for inappropriate behavior now before they head into the big world and find some that are not so forgiving.

Are teen-agers too old to learn the rules? No! See that wasn't so hard, was it?

No comments: