Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Dang, Cars are Expensive

You know it's bad when your mom emails you and says, "I think it's time you posted a new blog. This is the only way I can keep up with you." So, here goes.

Last Saturday I realized my inspection sticker was worthless so I headed to Fast Eddie's, my regular stopping place for oil changes and inspections. I walked in and told the guy I needed my oil changed and my car inspected. He asked me if I had the registration card and I did, so he told me to "pull it behind the little blue car" and I'd be next. As I parked my car behind the "little blue car" I got the registration card out of the glove compartment and decided to read a little while I waited. I glanced at the card and saw that it expired the 15th of February. Not good! It was the 29th of February.

I started my car and headed home. The license plate place is not opened on Saturdays so I was going to have to wait until Monday. "Lord, please don't let me get stopped before I get this taken care of."

I was on-call Sunday so not only did I have to wait until Monday to take care of my car, but I was going to have to drive 40 miles to Wilmington on Sunday morning and back on Monday morning. Again, I prayed, "Lord, please, please don't let me get stopped before I get this taken care of on Monday."

I got home Monday morning and even though I really needed a nap, I drove straight to the license plate place and stood in the long line to get my sticker for my tag. Finally, it was my turn and I walked to the counter, presented my registration card and told the lady I would like to get my new sticker. She tapped and tapped on her computer and looked at me as if it were sheer pleasure to say, "You're car has a tax block on it. You will have to go to the tax office and get a receipt before you can get your sticker." WHAT????? A tax block?

As I drove 12 miles back toward Wilmington to go to the Government Complex where the tax office is located, I saw that my last name was not correct on my registration card. Could this be why I don't remember getting a bill for my vehicle taxes? Who knows?

I went in, paid the bill and came out with my receipt and was going to head back to the license plate place but realized it was going to be closed for lunch, so I headed home for a little bit. After having a bite to eat and visiting with my husband for a brief moment, I headed back to Shallotte. Again, I stood in a long line and finally arrived at the counter. I got the sticker, but I asked her why my last name was not correct. She said I would have to change it with the DMV. I told her I had done that a week after I got married (22 months ago) but she said I would have to do it with her and I needed my title. My title! I have it, but it's in the car. Am I going to go back out to the car to come back in to stand in line to have my name changed? NOT TODAY.

I put the sticker on while I was still parked in the parking lot and headed to Fast Eddie's. I walked in all proud with my new registration sticker in my hand and told the guy (not Eddie) that I needed my oil changed and my car inspected. He looked at me and told me that they were inspecting their last car for the day. They do inspections from 7:30 am until 3:00 pm.

IT WAS 10 MINUTES UNTIL 3:00!!!!!!!!!!!

I said, "It's 10 minutes until 3:00" and he informed me I should have been there by 2:30. I was ticked!!!! It's Monday afternoon and I've had no sleep from a 24 hour 0n-call at the hospital and I'm not real personable at this point. The young man told me he would be glad to change my oil but I'd have to wait for the inspection. "Nope," I said, and walked out the door. I went to two other places and no one could do my inspection on Monday.

I went home, called Black's Tire and made arrangements to get my car inspected this morning (Tuesday). I was there at 7:30 this morning. I'M ON SPRING BREAK!!!! And I waited 2 hours as they changed my oil and inspected my car. As they pulled my car out of the bay and parked it in their parking area, I was thrilled to know the process was over. It took about 10 minutes to pay the lady and walked out to my car. The idiots left my engine running!!!!!!!

I'm now legal to ride up and down the highway, but not without spending a small fortune and burning a half tank of gas.

No comments: