Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Falcons Anyone?

I was doing a little research on Falcons today since the Falcon man was at Campbell yesterday showing off his beautiful bird. I had watched Falcons on TV as they swooped down to pick up their prey and head off to the nest to enjoy dinner.

I began to wonder if I could train one to pick up select individuals and drop them in the ocean like maybe a teen-ager or a parent???? (Not you, mom. Call me for an explanation!!! :) )

After doing a little more research, I found out that these birds are quick powerful. The Falcon and its relatives: powerful birds, often the size of small hawks, they also have a black malar area (except some very light color morphs), and often a black cap also. Otherwise, they are somewhat intermediate between the other groups, being chiefly medium grey with some lighter or brownish colours on the upper side. They are on average more delicately patterned than the hobbies and if the hierofalcons are excluded (see below), this group contains typically species with horizontal barring on the underside. The tails of the large falcons are quite uniformly dark grey with rather inconspicuous black banding and small white tips, though this is probably plesiomorphic. These large Falco feed on mid-sized birds and terrestrial vertebrates, taking prey of up to 5-pound sage grouse size.

5 lbs????? Is that all? Dang, I guess I'm going to have to capture and train a pteradactyl.

No comments: