Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Graduation Day

I see that my classmates and I are a little sluggish about posting about the weekend filled graduation festivities. I checked around to see, who, if anyone, had posted anything about this past weekend and found ONE. Dr. C had written about his regalia which is quite interesting. You can tell he's real fond of wearing them from the picture stage left. His comments come from a new professor who just isn't in to the robe wearing mindset yet. Dr. Harmon says to go easy on him, he's still new. HA HA HA HA

This was my second Campbell graduation. I walked the first time in May 1995 after finishing my undergraduate degree in December of '94. It wasn't something I would have done if it had not been for my children. Walk, not gone back to school, that is. This time was not too different. The main difference was I was in the back of the line instead of in the front. The Divinity School was the very last group to receive their scrolls from Dr. Jerry Wallace so you can imagine our interest levels by the time we were called.

The speaker was, well, what can I say? Not sure, so I won't. But to listen to 450 names before ours was a little more than we wanted to sit through. So, we found other things to engage our thoughts. We learned of upcoming events in the lives of those we might not have been otherwise privy. I actually sat beside a man whom I had not had a single class with, that I know of, and knew very little about him. By the time our names were called, we were pretty good friends.

We had a new style of robe this year for the first time, and if the comments are listened to, this will be the last year. They were just below being tacky. (This is my blog and this is my opinion). By the time I had worn it twice, the sleeves were coming apart. But besides the cheap-made robe, we were intrigued with the "pockets" at the end of our sleeves. Not to go in empty-handed, we put bottles of bubbles in the pockets. It helped to keep them from flopping in the wind.

But, as Dr. Wallace finished up the ceremony, the bubbles found their way out of our sleeves and blowing in the wind. Hey, don't laugh. We made the paper. Sometimes you just have to make your own fun. Like when our names were put on the ground in the Academic Mall to mark our place in line.....YES, that is MY name. I was right beside the only hydrant in the yard. My classmates thought that was quite funny and even though I didn't mark my territory, Campbell will always be a part of me.

No comments: