Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thank you, Rita

This past weekend my husband and I were invited to lead a worship service in Wilson. The church was celebrating Homecoming and their 15th anniversary. We had a terrific time. We drove up to Wilson on Saturday afternoon and enjoyed the rest of the day with our hosts, one of those being a great friend I met in Divinity School.

Rita and I met in Dr. Hatcher's class my first year at Campbell Divinity School. We had to participate in a "get-to-know-you" exercise at the beginning of class. The class was at 5:30 pm and I had been at Campbell since 8 a.m. which means I left home at 5 a.m. I knew I had 2 more hours to go before I left for home and I was so tired.

Rita had been there most of the day, too, and she was as tired as me. Since we were both sitting on the front row, we looked over at each other and decided to do our ice-breaker with each other so we wouldn't have to get up. Well, the rest is history. We shared several classes during the next 2 years and became very good friends. Rita graduated with her MDiv in May of '06.

I sang 2 songs for the Homecoming service on Sunday and while the sound guy was getting my second tape ready, I felt the urge to say something. I wasn't sure what, but something was begging to come out of my mouth. (If you know me, this is not an unusual happening). I acknowledged Rita as a good friend and thanked she and her husband for inviting us and then acknowledge how much she had meant to me since our first meeting.

One of the most memorable times was on a Tuesday morning in chapel when I questioned what I was doing with my life. I didn't go back to college to finish my undergraduate work until I was 32. Ten years later, God decided I still had not fulfilled my task and called me to graduate school at 42. Now, if God calls me back to do more schooling at 52 we're going to have to have a serious chat. Anyway, I was having a difficult time with where my life was heading. I was a single mother of 2 boys with divorce as part of my history and here I was looking to go into full-time ministry. A divorced woman. What was I thinking?

Enter Rita. She and I sat beside each other in the Ensemble group. In this particular service touched me in a special way. The message was on our calling and listening to God for our instructions. At the end of the service she wrapped her arms around me and prayed with me. She didn't ask what was wrong, or why I was crying, she just prayed that God would intervene and give me a peace about whatever was bothering me. From that time forward I never questioned my call to ministry. At one service we even washed each other's feet. Now that's love.

Over the years there have been many people that have influenced my life and many that have prayed with me and for me. As I was struggling with the decision I had made to follow Christ's call God knew just what to do. He sent Rita into my life.

Thank you, Rita.

1 comment:

foxofbama said...

Terri:
Saw your comment at Tony C's blog about Nascar.
You read or heard about the Novel Circlin Momma?
Anniston Star likes it.
Listen, you scholars at Campbell Div got to bone up on Charles Marsh's Wayward Christian Soldiers and take your findings to Sunday School at Snyder Memorial to help them on Christian Pilgrimage.
Marney would be proud of you if you do.