Thursday, September 27, 2007

Studying with Notecards

Did you know that 4x5 index cards will fit perfectly in the top opening of your steering wheel? I found that out today when I was on my way to Campbell. I had my first exam in Church History at 2:30 and I was still studying on the way to school. It's a 2 and a half hour drive if you make a stop through a drive-thru for breakfast or lunch, whatever the case may be.

Anyway, I leave on Thursdays at 9:45 in order to make a 12:30 class. I waited until I got on Hwy. 17 before I brought out the cards. I was trying to figure out how this was going to work so you can imagine my joy when I found out the card would sit right on top of the center section of my steering wheel. If I folded the card on the bottom two corners, it would fit on the bottom section while resting on the rim.

Usually during my trip my husband and I are on the phone talking about various and sundry things but today was different. No time for chatting. I have had my nose stuck in my notes or making note cards since Sunday afternoon. Wednesday night I was lying in bed with my arms wrapped around my pillow, my eyes closed and listing 4-liners that MIGHT be on the test. David thought I had lost my mind, but he recognized the terms coming out of my mouth, so he understood.

I don't test well. I never have. In fact, I've never learned how to study. I breezed through elementary and high school and graduated with a Beta Club stole around my neck, but not because I knew how to study.

My friend, Rita (see previous post) showed me how she studies for a test and I tried her method on a Harmon exam last semester with pretty good results. NOTECARDS. So, I resurrected the idea for today's exam. I felt pretty good when I came out of the exam an hour later.

Maybe even at my age, I can learn how to study!!! (sorry Dr. Cartledge, but the exclamation marks are very necessary here.)

No comments: